Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ask a Stupid Question

I have the utmost respect for the work of scientists when they offer physical solutions to physical problems. I just think that some of them and their literary allies are out of their league when they venture into spiritual territory. Belief in God has nothing to do with logic. It is not meant to be debated; it is meant to be felt.

'But the universe is so vast that we can only imagine...' The universe is vast. God is immeasurable.

'But we're so small and insignificant...' Not too small to imagine God.

'But something can't come out of nothing...' Science is invention. God is creation.

'But prayer is servile...' I'd rather kneel to God than kneel to logic.

Logic is a powerful tool in this life, but it falls short in creative fields, such a song writing; that is, unless you equate the pushing of a button on a machine with the making of a melody. Such a machine may duplicate the notes of my songs, but not the suffering that gave rise to them. Only God can duplicate my experience, as I've learned all this year.

Scientists handicap themselves when they apply science to faith. If they'd been doing that all along, we'd still be in the Dark Ages.

Atheism lays the trap of letting one be consumed by arrogance, in the absence of a disciplinary, all-seeing God. Do I trust myself to act decently without God in my mind? You mean, do I trust myself not to let my monstrous subconscious drives flow out of me unchecked without God to keep me in line? Not unless you supplant my God with scientifically produced drugs that rob me of my free will!

I'm not picking any fights here. Obviously I enjoy arguing the question, too.

Science can be progressive, but there's no progress in having a scientifically advanced world if everyone in it behaves like assholes because they've all turned from God.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2007, 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. Initially posted under a different title. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment